New Jersey
EXAM Sessions by Location
Instructional Class Schedule
March Classes & Exams
April Classes & Exams
May Classes & Exams
June Classes & Exams
Online Course & Exam Info
What to Bring to the Exam
What to Bring to Class
Homework (2-Session Class)
Register On-Line
Now that you're registered
Where's My Certificate?
Map of Locations
Our Rates
Exam Testimonials
Safety Cert. vs Boat License
NJ State Police Information
DMV & Boat License
Frequently Asked Questions
Boat (Not So Safe) Videos
Gift Certificates
Employment Opportunities
Our Friends' Links
NJ Nautical Charts
After the Exam
MVC and Your Temp. Certificate
Toms River Elks

On behalf of all of us here at Boat Safe US, we would like to thank you for choosing us as your boat safety exam providers. 

We hope your experience with us was a positive one that you would be happy to share with your friends and family.
I would like to take some time out to discuss some of the questions that are asked of me after students receive their pink copy of their boat safety certificate.

First of all, your pink copy is legal immediately after your instructor signs off on it. It is valid for one year from the date you signed it.  We recommend that you put it in a plastic bag to protect it from any moisture as you use it on a temporary basis. 

Your permanent Boat Safety certificate will be printed at the NJ state police and mailed to Boat Safe US.  We Will then mail your permanent boat safety certificate to you in the envelope that you provided for us.

Please note, this process can take SEVERAL MONTHS as the state police have placed some of their key staff on furlough during these challenging times.

But again, please remember your pink copy is valid for one year. And you will receive your permanent card before your temporary certificate expires.

We ask for your patience in receiving your permanent certificate. You can always follow along on our website: and clicking the “Where’s my certificate” link. 

This will give you a general idea of when you may expect to receive your permanent Boat Safety certificate. 

Another question that I am constantly asked by our students is:

“Do I need a boat license in addition to my boat safety certificate?”

New Jersey has a unique law that requires some boaters to hold a non-tidal boat license in addition to the New Jersey Boat Safety certificate.

Let me try to simplify this. No matter where you Operate your powerboat in New Jersey, you will always be required to carry a boat safety certificate! (Your temporary pink certificate)
No exceptions!

If you boat exclusively in the bays or out in the ocean you will never be required to have a non-tidal boat license because you are boating exclusively in waters that are affected by the tide, therefore, you do not need a non-tidal boat license.

On the other hand, for example, if you were to take your personal watercraft on Lake Hopatcong in North Jersey and you are a New Jersey resident, in addition to your boat safety certificate you would be required to carry a non-tidal boat license endorsement on your New Jersey driver’s license.

In order to receive A non-tidal license endorsement, you would be required to take your Temporary (original pink copy) or your permanent white plastic boat safety certificate and your New Jersey driver’s license to the New Jersey Division of motor vehicles, and make The appropriate payment.

The Division of motor vehicles would then punch a hole in your existing license and add the non-tidal boat Endorsement on your new driver’s license. 

Depending on where you live and boat in New Jersey, some motor vehicle locations will accept the temporary certificate towards you getting your boat license. Some MVC locations may not accept your pink copy even though the law (listed next) requires them to accept the original pink copy. Here’s the law:

Chapter 7
Section 12:7-61 - Operation of power vessels, personal watercraft; boat safety course requirements; violations.

Section 12:7-61: 5-G
g. A person making application to the Chief Administrator of the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission for a power vessel operator's license issued pursuant to section 3 of P.L.1995, c.401 (C.12:7-72) who is required pursuant to the provisions of this section to possess a certificate certifying successful completion of a boat safety course shall submit proof of successful completion of the course or the written examination for experienced boaters with the application. The chief administrator shall not issue a power vessel operator's license to such person who fails to submit this proof. A permanent State of New Jersey boating safety certificate or a temporary boating safety certificate issued on a Division of State Police application for boating safety certificate form shall satisfy this requirement. 

I know that all of the MVC licensing locations will accept your permanent boat safety certificate. You cannot get the boat endorsement on your driver’s license through the mail.

Depending on what type and horse power boat you Operate, you may or may not be required to have a non-tidal boat license. To view the specific details on the non-tidal boat license we would like to ask you to review the New Jersey State police marine services website to see if you would be required to have a non-tidal boat license.
I refer to this as the unique New Jersey law.

It’s important to me that it is explained to you in a way that you understand.

We at Boat Safe US would like to wish you and yours health and happiness and most of all safe travels as you enjoy all of the boating opportunities the world has to offer! 

Please remember, 90% of all people that drown in boating accidents were not wearing a life jacket. Find one that fits you comfortably and wear it all the time when boating! 

We wish you a lifetime of healthy happy and safe boating. Stay safe my friends.

Captain Bob Kita
Boat Safe US, LLC