top of page

How to Get Your Boat License Endorsement

The MVC is REQUIRED to accept your temporary boat safety certificate - see the law

Currently, you must make an appointment with the NJ Motor Vehicle Division to obtain the boat license endorsement on your driver's license.  SOME locations will accept walk-ins for this service:

NJ MVC | How to get a Motorboat or Jet Ski License (

Go to the  NJMVC "Cheat Sheet" : PowerPoint Presentation (

Under "FIRST TIME LICENSE/ID" and next to "First time license/ID/permit" choose  "Appointment Only"   

On the Schedule Appointments Online page, select "MAKE APPOINTMENT"


On the "INITIAL PERMIT (NOT FOR KNOWLEDGE TEST)  Select the appointment button
**You'll see the last option is "Purchase a boat license (ages 16+)"

From the Map, select the town you want to go to, and you'll see a calendar and available appointment times, follow the prompts

Agency Transaction Cheat Sheet
NJMVC Appointment screenshot
NJMVC Appointment screenshot 1
Appointment Location
Schedule appointment
bottom of page